Gout is caused because of uric acid that builds up in the blood. It is a type of arthritis. Usually, the waste material breaks down in the body, and uric acid is formed. It is treated by the kidneys and excreted through urine. However, for some individuals, the uric acid stays in the blood and becomes crystals. These crystals are collected in the joints. Men above 40 years of age especially who are overweight are prone to this problem. The symptoms of gout flare-up are sudden attacks of pain, swelling, redness and tender joints.
Mostly it is caused due to genetics, improper diet, and lifestyle, excessive smoking and alcohol consumption, lack of physical exercise and stress. Gout mainly occurs in the joints like ankles, feet, wrists, knees, and hands. It is excruciating, so much so that even the thought of the attack can cause anxiety; however, there are home remedies that can help in curing gout. Apple cider vinegar or ACV is one of the best solutions for treating this problem.
Apple cider vinegar is known to be an excellent remedy for many illnesses. It is used in the treatment of high blood pressure, fungal infections, wounds and strep throat as well. ACV not only helps in relieving the symptoms of gout but also helps to cure the ailment.
If you suffer from persistent joint pain, if you suffer from gout then you should try using apple cider vinegar for gout. Before we talk about the treatment, let us first understand what Gout is.
What exactly is Gout?
Gout is a type of inflammatory arthritis that is seen in people who have increased levels of uric acid in their bloodstream. The acid form crystals in the joints and causes severe pain, swelling, redness, tenderness, and warmth.
Stages of Gout
There are various stages of gout. The scenes are listed below
1. Asymptomatic Hyperuricemia
This is the time before the very first gout attack. In this case, there are no symptoms, but the levels of uric acid in the blood is high. This is the time when the crystals begin to form in the joints.
2. Gout Attack
This happens when for some reason (drinking alcohol) causes the uric acid in the blood to increase suddenly. This can trigger an attack. It results in inflammation and pain that rises at night. The pain intensifies over time. These symptoms usually go away gradually in a weeks’ time. For some people, a second attack never happens. However, 60% of the people experience a second attack within a year.
3. Interval Gout
This is the time between the attacks. During this time there is no pain. This is the time when one should begin managing gout by changing their lifestyle and taking medication. This way you will be able to prevent any attack in the future.
4. Chronic Gout
This develops in those people whose uric acid levels stay high for some years. For such people attacks are more frequent, the pain does not go away, and damage in the joints can be seen. This often leads to loss of mobility. If you begin to manage gout during the interval gout stage, then this stage becomes preventable. Chronic gout can be treated using medicines that help in lowering the levels of uric acid in the blood.
The best method to diagnose gout is by taking the fluid from the inflamed joint and examining it under the microscope to see if there are uric acid crystals.
If gout is left untreated, then it might cause joint damage that is irreversible, it can also lead to kidney problems.
Many reasons can trigger acute attacks of gout. Some of these reasons include-
- Drinking sweet beverages
- Drinking a beer or other liquor
- Eating red meat and seafood
Drugs used in the treatment for Gout
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs, colchicine and steroids help in improving the symptoms. When the acute attack lessens then the levels of uric acid can be decreased by working on the lifestyle of the patient. The patient will have to change their lifestyle drastically. However, the patients who suffer from frequent attacks, probenecid, and allopurinol helps in the long run.
Vitamin C and eating low-fat dairy products might also help in lowering the level of uric acid.
Risk factor for Gout
If you have a family member who suffers from gout then there are chances that you too will develop it.
Water pills or diuretic medications that are consumed for the treatment of high blood pressure can increase the levels of uric acid in the bloodstream. Transplant recipients and those who take drugs that subdue the immune system, the drugs are chosen by those who suffer from psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis increases the levels of uric acid and can lead to the development of gout.
If you love to eat red meat and seafood then you should consider thinking twice, as this might increase your risk for developing gout too.
If you are an alcoholic, you are at a higher risk of developing gout.
5. Gender and Age
Gout is common in men around the age of 60. It is said that natural estrogen protects women from developing gout.
If you are obese then your chances of developing gout increases. People who are overweight tend to develop gout at an early age than those who have average weight.
7. Bypass Surgery
Those who have undergone a gastric bypass surgery are at an increased risk
8. Other health conditions
If you suffer from high blood pressure, heart diseases, diabetes or high levels of cholesterol then the chances of you developing gout increases.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Gout Pain
- ACV is a natural cure for gout; it has potassium that removes the toxins from the body and helps in the removal of excess water as well. It has iron, amino acids, and calcium that reduces the build-up of toxins and therefore serves as an antibiotic.
- ACV helps in balancing the pH levels of the body by turning it into alkaline. This way gout is treated, and it helps in preventing further attacks.
- If ACV is taken regularly, it helps in breaking up the crystals of uric acid and therefore helps in treating gout.
- It helps in blood circulation and digestion, it purifies the bloodstream and thereby improves the quality of life.
- Water content increases in the body, which helps in eliminating uric acid via urine.
- ACV has properties that help in soothing the inflammation caused by the accumulation of crystals of uric acid.
- It has high amounts of malic acid and acetic acid that is highly beneficial for relieving the gout pain.
Cure Gout using Apple Cider Vinegar
There are many effective methods that include how to use Apple cider vinegar to prevent pain caused by gout. You will have to follow these methods religiously without any disruption. This will help you cure gout. Some of the practices that you can follow are listed below –
Apple cider vinegar offers therapeutic properties that help in curing gout. Drinking ACV regularly will help in breaking down crystals of uric acid in the bloodstream and will help stop the process of formation of crystals in the joint. The steps you should follow in this method are as listed below –
- Take 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar that is organic in a glass filled with water; you can also dilute the ACV in a glass full of cherry juice.
- Consume this water one or two times per day, do this regularly and you will soon be able to see positive results.
- Make sure, to begin with just 1 teaspoon of ACV in a glass of water and then gradually increase the dosage to 2 to 3 teaspoons 2 to 3 times per day.
- If you don’t like ACV’s taste, then you can add a teaspoon of raw honey to enhance the flavor.
- You can also consume ACV without diluting it, and you can add it to your daily diet by adding it as a salad dressing, using it in salsa, and preservatives.
- You can also mix a couple of teaspoons of ACV in strawberry, blueberry or cherry juice. See to it that you don’t add sugar to this mix. Drink this, and you will be able to cure gout and arthritis.
Method 2 –ACV and Honey for gout
Honey is excellent to cure inflammation as it has anti-inflammatory properties. If you suffer from inflames and irritated joints, then honey can help you. Honey along with ACV can help in reducing the pain you experience due to gout. You will have to follow the following steps –
- Take a glass and add equal amounts of organic honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir them together and drink.
- This will help you get relief from the pain.
- If you continue to drink this at least twice per day, you will soon see positive results.
Apple cider vinegar is known to have live enzymes along with acetic acid that helps you get relief from pain and inflammation caused due to gout. If you soak your feet in apple cider vinegar for gout, you will be able to prevent the pain. The steps you will have to follow to do so are listed below-
- Take one cup of apple cider vinegar and add 4 cups of water to it in a large bowl.
- Stir the mixture well, now soak the foot that has suffered a gout attack for about half an hour.
- Do this regularly, and you will soon be able to prevent gout.
Method 4 –Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda for Gout
Apple cider vinegar along with baking soda acts as a miracle solution for gout. This mixture helps in alkalizing the body and bringing the pH levels of the body to normal. This helps with the pain and irritation that is caused by gout. The steps you will have to follow are listed below –
- Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and add ½ teaspoon of baking soda in it.
- Stir the mixture well, drink this mix half an hour before each meal.
- Do not drink this mixture on an empty stomach. If you do so, you might have to deal with diarrhea and other side effects.
- Drink this solution three times per day until you see positive results.
When to take Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar should be taken after meals in order to prevent any acidity as ACV helps in alkalizing the meals. You can also take this at night before you go to sleep. This is the time when most people experience gout pain, so taking ACV before going to sleep helps in relieving the pain caused due to gout.
Other Tips and Precautions
- In order to get the best results to be sure to use organic, unpasteurized, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar is not just good for curing gout, but it improves the overall health of people. So adding this to your diet will only make your life better.
- You can use a straw to drink apple cider vinegar; this will prevent it from affecting your throat and teeth.
- Change your lifestyle, avoid drinking alcohol at any cost, avoid seafood and red meats, consume food that is not processed, avoid high-fat. This will help you get less frequent gout attacks.
- The best way to consume apple cider vinegar is to consume it in its liquid form, avoid taking ACV capsules or other extracts.
- See a doctor and take the prescribed medication religiously to get rid of gout The medications are for reducing inflammation, pain and the production of uric acid.
- Supplements are available that contains ingredients like turmeric and celery seeds that helps in reducing the symptoms of gout. You can find these supplements in the market.
So, if you suffer from gout and if you have tried out various methods to get rid of the pain, but in vain; then use apple cider vinegar and see if it works for you. Most people have benefitted from this. ACV will help you cure gout and will help you lead a better lifestyle.