Period or menstruation cycle is a process that occurs every month for women. A regular cycle occurs every 28 to 32 days, and this denotes good health for a woman. However, the cycles differ from one individual to another. Sometimes period cycles differ in the same woman, and it varies in severity and time. There are many women who choose to change their cycles naturally, whereas there are others who have to rely on prescribed drugs to regulate their periods. Some women suffer from blocked or irregular periods which takes weeks to begin. Some suffer from menstrual symptoms like cramps and breast soreness.
Do you suffer from irregular menstrual cycles? If yes, then you don’t have to worry. There are ways in which you can make your cycles regular. One of the most effective ways to change the cycles is by using vitamin C.
Why should you induce your periods?
There are many women who like to induce their periods with natural remedies. There are various reasons, why one would like her periods to come on earlier. There might be special occasions where you would like to get over with your periods, or you may suffer from irregular periods and want to make it regular, or the reason could be that your period is late and you want it to come soon because it is stressing you out. No matter what the reason is, the good news is that inducing it is possible.
Causes of late period
Some of the reasons why the period is late are because you are stressed or if you have polycystic ovary syndrome. It can be late because of a hormonal imbalance or because you are pregnant. If your periods are delayed, try using vitamin C to bring it on earlier.
Vitamin C to induce a period
It has been found that food rich in vitamin C triggers menstrual cycles. This vitamin also improves the immune system and the overall health. It helps in regulating the cycle. But make sure to check if you are pregnant or not before using this method because taking in large doses of vitamin C can abort the embryo. This vitamin increases the levels of estrogen in the body. This triggers contractions in the uterus and thereby initiates bleeding. It reduces the levels of progesterone in the body. It is a hormone that helps in pregnancy when the egg gets fertilized. The body produces large quantities of progesterone to maintain the pregnancy. Vitamin C, on the other hand, lowers the level of progesterone in the body thereby causing the wall of the uterus to break down thus, menstruation begins.
How to use Vitamin C to induce Menstruation?
If you are wondering what kind of vitamin C to use then even though vitamin C capsules (pure ascorbic acid) are available in the market, it is better to eat natural fruits, vegetables and herbs. This way you can rest assured that there will be no side-effects. Below are some ways in which you can introduce this vitamin in your diet.
1. Parsley Tea
Parsley is a natural source of vitamin C. Including 1 cup of parsley tea to your diet will help you attain 133 mg of the vitamin. To make this tea, you will have to do the following-
- Take some fresh parsley leaves
- Chop them up finely
- Take a cup and put in a ¼ cup of parsley leaves in it.
- Fill the cup with some boiling water.
- Cover the cup and let it sit for around 5 minutes
- Strain and drink the tea to induce your period.
- Drinking this tea regularly at least 2 to 3 times per day will help in regulating the cycle.
2. Cranberry Juice
Cranberries are rich in ascorbic acid. Use fresh cranberries to make juice and then consume it. If possible stay away from the commercially available readymade juice. Try to make your cranberry juice using fresh raw materials. To make the juice follow the following steps –
- Take some fresh, hard and red cranberries, be sure to rinse them thoroughly.
- Pour these cranberries in the juicer and extract the juice.
- Add some pure apple juice in the mix
- Do not take more than 1 liter of this juice as it will cause side effects.
- Drinking this juice on a regular basis will help you get regular periods.
This is yet another fruit that is rich in vitamin C. You can eat the fruit or extract its juice and drink it. You can also drink guava leaf tea twice every day to get the same effects.
4. Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits like lime, oranges, strawberries, lemon, and grapefruits are good sources of vitamin C. Incorporate 1 glass of orange juice in your daily diet to get the required amount of the vitamin. This way you will be able to regulate your menstrual cycle naturally.
Other sources of vitamin C
Natural food is better to consume as these don’t have any side effects. Some fruits and vegetables that contain a high amount of vitamin C are listed below –
- Kiwi – One cup of kiwi contains 167mg of vitamin C
- Mangoes – One cup contains 45.7 mg of vitamin C
- Pineapple – Contains 48 mg of vitamin C
- Blackcurrant- One cup contains 203 mg of vitamin C
- Banana – Contains 8.7 mg of vitamin C
- Strawberries – One berry contains 60 mg of vitamin C
- Papaya – One cup of slices contains 88 mg of vitamin C
- Bell pepper – 100 grams contains 183.5 mg of vitamin C
- Broccoli – 100 grams contains 89.2mgof vitamin C
- Tomato – 100 grams contains 22.8 mg of vitamin C
- Kale – 100 grams contains 120 mg of vitamin C
- Brussels Sprouts – One cup contains 75 mg of vitamin C
- Peas – One cup of raw peas contains 58 mg of vitamin C
- Spinach – 100 grams contains 28.1 mg of vitamin C
- Cauliflower – One cup contains 46.4 mg of vitamin C
- Braised liver – 3.5 ounces contains 1.1 mg of vitamin C
- Calf Liver – 100 grams contain 36 mg of vitamin C
- Chicken liver contains 13 mg of vitamin C
- Turkey Liver contains 12 mg of vitamin C
- Pork liver contains 23 mg of vitamin C
- Lamb’s liver contains 12 mg of vitamin C.
Vitamin C supplements
If you are looking for an easy and efficient solution, then go ahead and take vitamin C supplements. If you are wondering how much vitamin C to induce period? Then the answer is 3000 mg of vitamin C when taken for three days, will induce your periods. However, if you don’t want to take these supplements then make a concoction using the above-listed foods and have it for a few days.
Precautions and Tips
- Food that contains vitamin C should not be cooked at high temperatures that are above 60˚C or 140˚F. Too much heat will degrade the vitamins present in the food. However, broccoli retains its vitamins better than any other vegetable or fruits.
- While making a tea rich in Vitamin C make sure that you do not boil the leaves directly. All you have to do is boil some water and pour the water onto the green leaves. Keep it for some time, and your tea is prepared.
- Cold temperatures do not affect vitamin C, so keeping fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator will be just fine. However, don’t forget to use the fruits within a weeks’ time.
- Be sure to eat healthy diets, because a nutritional deficiency can cause your menstrual cycles to become irregular. For good ovulation, you will have to eat iron-rich Vitamin B helps in maintaining the hormonal balance. Omega 3 fatty acids help in the formation of hormones.
- Try to be stress-free, it is difficult at times, but it is important. Stress alters the duration of periods; it can make it heavy or light. When you are too stressed out, cortisol and adrenaline are released which inhibits the fertility-related This results in irregular periods. Manage your stress levels by doing yoga, meditation or by doing things you love to do.
- You will have to drink a lot of water along with other fluids that are healthy. This way you will be able to stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water helps in the proper functioning of the reproductive system.
- Weight can be a factor that influences the menstrual cycles. If you are overweight your body will have too much estrogen, however, if you are underweight you will have low concentrations of estrogen, this will result in irregular menstruations.
- One’s lifestyle is also a factor that influences periods. You will have to lead a healthy lifestyle to achieve regular periods. You will have to do the following-
- Do not wear tight clothes especially polyester underwear
- Stop drinking alcohol
- Quit smoking
- Do not be involved in any kind of substance abuse.
- Avoid exposure to pollutants in the air.
- Avoid exposure to pesticides, heavy metals or petrochemicals.
Other factors that effects one’s menstrual cycle are listed below –
- Contraception usage
- Ovular infections
- Kidney disorders etc.
- If you are sexually active, then you should take a pregnancy test before trying to induce a period. Also, consult your doctor before you begin using vitamin C.
- While breastfeeding period stops for around 6 months. This is the time when the uterus prepares itself for a new possible pregnancy and thus your period is delayed.
How thyroid affects your menstrual cycles?
Both hypothyroidism (when there is not enough amount of hormones) and hyperthyroidism (when there are too many hormones) can affect your ovary production and fertility. It makes your periods irregular.
This is a phase either before or after menopause. In this phase, the estrogen levels fluctuate. This is why you won’t be able to rely on your period. This phase leads to many other signs and symptoms such as vaginal dryness, sudden sweating, insomnia and hot flashes along with irregular menstrual cycles.
If you are above the age of 35 and you experience any of the above-listed symptoms, then you should consult your doctor. Your doctor will be able to understand if you are in your perimenopause phase or not.
Getting periods using other home remedies
There are various other home remedies other than vitamin C that can be used to induce menstruation. Some of those remedies are listed below –
It is believed that taking two aspirins in half a cup of water along with some honey and sugar helps in inducing menstruation. There is no scientific evidence to support this claim.
This is a traditional home remedy that is known to cause contractions in the uterus. This theory is also questionable as it is not proved to be true. However a little ginger will not cause any harm, you can drink ginger tea and see if this remedy works.
This is said to affect the estrogen and progesterone levels in the body and thus helps in inducing menstruation. This theory too needs to be proved scientifically. You can introduce turmeric in your diet by simply adding it to the curries and gravies. You can also add some turmeric in a glass of warm milk and drink it to get its benefits.
4. Dong Quai
This is a Chinese herb and is known to be a popular home remedy. This has been used for hundreds of years in China. Consuming this herb improves blood circulation in the pelvis area and causes uterine contractions. This is available in the form of capsules and powder too.
5. Black Cohosh
This is yet another herbal supplement that you can purchase in order to regulate your period. It helps by shedding the uterine wall. However, if you take heart or blood pressure medicines, then you should stay away from this as Black Cohosh is said to interact with many types of medicines.
Other ways to induce periods
- Warm compress baths
- Reducing exercise especially if you are an athlete
So, if you are suffering from irregular menstrual cycles, then you can go ahead and try out these home remedies. Some of these home remedies will help you regulate your periods. Try and see how vitamin C helps in inducing periods, you can try out other remedies as well and see if it works or not. So, next time your period is delayed, do not worry and try these home remedies. If it still doesn’t work, then see a doctor.