Moisturizing your face is one of the things that you should include in your daily beauty ritual. You have to moisturize your face at least once a week, especially when your skin looks dry in the winters. Since this is something you should do regularly, investing in products can get very expensive. Not only that, the chemicals may harm your skin in the long run. So we will show you how to make face masks at home.
Why should we moisturize our skin?
Before starting to make the face masks at home, you need to understand the various benefits that moisture does to your skin. Because you may want to make a face mask at home on a whim, but after realizing that there are so many benefits, you might consider including it in your regular beauty ritual. This doesn’t have to be very time-consuming and neither is inconvenient. You can do this before going to bed instead of during the day when you will have to wait half an hour before removing the mask. If you learn how to make a face mask and apply it at night, it will work wonders on your skin where you will have to put minimum efforts, and you will reap maximum benefits.
The benefits that you get for moisturizing your skin are –
- Lengthens the ageing process – this means that your skin will be wrinkle-free for a long time when all the people your age will start having lines. This is the most long-term and essential benefit of hydrating your skin.
- No flakiness during winter – your skin becomes dry and flaky during winter because of dehydration. Your face can be healthy and glowy when everyone else has that peeling, dry skin.
- Protects your skin – if you are wearing makeup, it will dry out your skin. If your skin is moisturized, the makeup will not have any such side effects. Also, if you are out in the sun for too long, there are fewer chances of having a sunburn if you have moisturized skin. It is like a layer of protection against the sun.
- Less acne – this is by far the most compelling reason to moisturize your skin.
- Clear skin – face mask will remove all the dirt, dead cells, oils secreted from the skin and clean up the pores. So no patchy area or uneven color tone. You may not even have to use concealer or foundation after a few sessions.
- Less dark circles – the sensitive area beneath your eyes will finally get hydrated and it will return to the original color.
Now that you are convinced that hydrating face masks should be applied regularly, let’s go through some of the best DIY face masks that you can easily make at home
- Aloe Vera and cucumber
Most of the skin problems can be fixed by applying aloe vera externally. Aloe vera is antifungal, antibacterial, antibiotic, and anti-ageing. Cucumber, on the other hand, has antioxidant properties, it is hydrating and it refreshes your skin. Cut 6-7 slices of cucumber and put it in a blender. Keep blending until it seems watery. Take an aloe vera leaf and make a slice on the side to open it. Collect the gel into a bowl. It is better to use fresh aloe vera gel for maximum effect. Add 2 to 3 spoons of this gel into the blended cucumber and mix it well. Apply it on your face and massage it for a few minutes. Let it dry. Keep your mask at least for 30 minutes before washing it off. Do this every week to keep your face healthy and hydrated.
- Baking soda, honey and banana mash
Honey will help your skin retain moisture while baking soda will exfoliate it. Banana will nourish and moisturize your face. This mixture will help cool down your skin and bring the moisture from the air into your skin. Take half a banana and cut it up into little pieces. Add 1 spoon of each baking soda and honey. Mix it well and apply it to your face. Massage your face while applying the mask and when you rinse it off later. Wash the mask off after a good 15 to 20 minutes and pat your skin dry. Avoid going out in the sun for some time as your skin has just been exfoliated. Also, try not to eat the mask even though it will smell delicious.
- Avocado, olive oil, and yogurt
The flaky skin and the cracks will all be gone after this face mask has worked its magic. This is the best face mask for winter and the ingredients are also easily available. Olive oil will make your skin smooth and plump while avocado heals your skin and makes it healthy. Yogurt will help in moisturizing and cooling down your face. Take out all the pulp of an avocado into a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 of yogurt. Blend the mixture until it is smooth and lather it on your face. Let it stay for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it off. You may have to wash your face more than once to remove all the stickiness but the end result will be worth it. Do not use hard soap as it will take away all the moisture from your face again.
- Cacao powder, Aloe vera, and Papaya
This is the most effective face mask for all those with sensitive skin. It will nourish and hydrate your skin and also give it a glow. Take 4 to 5 spoonful of papaya pulp, add 1 tablespoon of cacao powder and 1 tablespoon of fresh aloe vera gel directly out of the leaf. Mix it and apply on your face for 20 minutes. You don’t have to wash it off with water. You can just use a napkin and wipe it off. Papaya will hydrate your skin and make it silky smooth. Cacao powder and aloe vera will soothe, cool, and heal your skin and make it look shiny as well.
- Milk powder
Take 3 spoons of milk powder and 3 spoons of water. Make a thick paste and apply it on your face. It will hydrate your skin and make it gentle. It will almost feel like you just got a facial done from a parlor. It is very rejuvenating and your skin will become very soft and smooth after the mask is removed. Keep the mask on for 30 minutes before washing the face with warm water.
- Coconut oil and rose water
While coconut oil will moisturize your skin and make it smooth, rose water will moisturize it and cool it down. This is very refreshing in summer or after exercise. Take 2 spoons of coconut oil and 1 spoon of rose water and apply it on your face. Massage your skin for 5 minutes and let it dry. Wash it off after 20 minutes. Use a mild soap to rinse your face.
- Strawberry and yogurt
Strawberry is acidic in nature so it will remove the dead cells from your face and it has nourishing properties as well to make your skin healthy and hydrated. Take 2 strawberries and cut it up into small pieces. Put it into the blender with 2 tablespoons of yogurt and blend it until it becomes a smooth paste. You can add 1 more spoon of yogurt if you want a thin paste. Apply it on your face and let it sit for 15 minutes. If you have oily skin then let the paste stay a few minutes longer before washing it off.
Tips on applying face masks
- If you start having an allergic reaction to something, immediately rinse off and talk to your doctor. Do not apply the same face mask again. Do a patch test before applying any face masks on to your skin. Apply some on your hand and let it sit for 10 minutes before washing it off. If there is no allergic reaction for 6 hours then apply it on your face.
- Wash your face properly before applying the mask. It is recommended to take a steam or a hot shower or bath before you apply a mask so as to open all the pores. But if you don’t have that much time then at least make sure to clean up any makeup left on your face.
- Any acidic substance you are using in your face mask should be limited. The area on your face it too sensitive for excess acids.
- Don’t get into the habit of making a mask and keeping it for future use. Make the mask and apply it on the same day. If you don’t apply immediately, at least keep it covered all the time. Don’t use a mask that was made 2-3 days before. Just make a new one instead.
Once you get used to this routine, it will become a relaxing routine that you will look forward to doing once you get home after a hard day. You cannot explain what a homemade face mask can help you not just physically but somehow it also calms you emotionally. Just give it a try and see the benefits for yourself.
Also, remember that applying face masks is just 1 step to keeping your face hydrated. You also need to eat healthy food, drink plenty of water, exercise regularly, avoid or limit alcohol intake and smoking and rest up. All of these things will naturally keep your skin healthy and hydrated.