Yoga is beneficial for people of all ages and ethnicity. So, this article will teach you 15 simple yoga poses for kids that will help your child perform better in their day to day life.
In this competitive world, stress effects everybody. Kids are no exceptions. In today’s world kids suffer from stress-related problems. Kids these days have to not only carry heavy books but are also pressurized to perform well in their exams to make their future bright. Most kids these days are also loaded with extracurricular activities. However, kids also consume junk food and lead unhealthy lifestyles. Yoga is said to improve one’s health, reduce stress and boost confidence in children.
Yoga will help your child’s creativity and will reduce their anger, fear, and negativity. It will bring out the positive in your child and this will help them stay calm and composed. If your child suffers from hyperactive attention deficit disorder, autism, cerebral palsy or other developmental disorders then yoga will help them stay calm, they will be able to understand their own body.
The 15 yoga poses that we will teach you is just a guide for inspiration. You can begin practicing these poses with your kids and add more poses to it gradually. You can change the yoga poses as per your needs. Make the session fun for your kids with movement, let your kids lead you while practicing yoga, this will make them learn team skills. Tend to the energy levels of your kids and they will enjoy practicing yoga with you. Make sure to stay safe while practicing yoga, go slow, begin with easy poses and then gradually add in complex poses. See to it that the kids also do the same.
You can make your kids practice yoga poses that involve two kids. Kids will enjoy these poses. While practicing yoga, wear clothing that is comfortable and practices the yoga poses barefoot. If your kids are not interested in practicing the poses, then try to make it fun for them by playing yoga games. Make the sessions competitive, as kids love to compete with each other.
So, without further ado let’s learn the yoga poses.
1. Reverse Warrior Pose or Viparita Virabhadrasana
This pose helps in making the body flexible and boosts confidence. Follow the following steps –
- Stand straight and take in a deep breath.
- Keep your legs in the same line and slowly extend your right leg outward.
- Bend your right knee a little and keep your left knee locked. The left knee should be straight.
- Extend your right hand upwards.
- Now bend your right hand towards the left side and keep your palm towards the roof. While your left hand is in the resting position.
- Then keep your left palm on your left knee and bend towards your right side.
- Breath normally and look upwards.
- Stay put in this position for 30 seconds.
- Slowly get back to the original position, repeat with the other side.
2. Facing Upward Dog Pose or Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
This is one of the easy yoga poses for kids that will help those who suffer from asthma. If you have high levels of stress, then this pose will help in decreasing the stress levels. This pose will make your spinal cord strong. The posture will open up and stretch your chest, making it easy to breathe. Follow the following steps –
- For this pose, you will have to lie down flat on the floor by keeping your face down.
- Keep both your palms on the floor.
- Keep your elbows locked and raise your hands up.
- Push the upper body upwards
- Breathe and keep your legs straight. Make sure that your legs are straight and your knees are locked.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds
- Get back to the original position and repeat.
3. The Frog Pose or Ardha Bhekasana
This yoga exercise for kids helps in maintaining your health. This pose improves the hearts functions and helps in toning your legs. Follow the following steps –
- For this pose, you will have to sit down and bend your knees.
- Now place your palms on the floor and see to it that your knees don’t touch the ground.
- Lean forward and breath normally
- Slowly and steadily raise your soles and put pressure on your toes.
- Stay for 30 seconds and then slowly rest your soles on the ground and stand up.
- Repeat this pose a few more times.
4. Double Boat Pose or Navasana
Yoga moves for kids that involves a partner are fun. This yoga pose is really easy; your kids will love to do this. This pose is said to improve the digestive system. It makes the backbones strong and helps in learning to work with the team. This pose helps in releasing stress as well. Follow the following steps –
- Face your partner and sit down.
- Both of you will have to raise your legs and touch each other’s feet.
- Then raise your hands and try to hold each other’s hands.
- Push the sole of your partner
- Breathe in and out normally. Slowly return to the original position and repeat again.
5. Bridge Pose or Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
This simple yoga pose for children helps in stretching the neck and back, this is a beautiful stress removal pose that helps in strengthening the legs. This pose also improves digestion. Follow the Following steps –
- Lie down on the ground and breathe in
- Place your palms on the floor
- Keeping your legs straight bend your knees.
- Push your body up while you breathe out.
- Stay for 10 seconds
- Lower your body while you breathe out.
- Get back to the original pose and repeat this pose again.
6. Airplane Posture or Dekasana
This yoga position helps in increasing the levels of concentration in those who practice it. By doing this pose kid learn to maintain balance. This pose helps in strengthening hands, legs and chest.
Follow the following steps –
- Stand straight and breathe in
- Take your right leg forward while your knees are locked and straight.
- Lean forward and raise your arms on the sides for balance. Stand like an airplane.
- Stay in this posture for a few seconds
- Stand straight and put the arms down. Relax and repeat the pose again.
7. Tree Pose or Vrikshasana
This pose helps in balancing the body. It helps in stretching the chest and strengthens the hands and legs of those who practice this asana. Follow the following steps –
- Breathe in and stand straight.
- Raise your left heel and keep the toes on the floor
- Extend your arms up and look upwards
- Breathe in and out normally
- Stay in this position for around 7 seconds and then repeat the pose with the other leg.
8. Salutation Seal or Anjali Mudra
This is one of the most popular yoga poses. This pose is a brilliant stress buster. It relaxes the body and the mind and makes you calm. Follow the following steps to do this asana.
- Sit down and breathe in.
- Cross your legs
- Join your palms together as you breathe in. Make sure that your back is straight.
- You will have to stay in this posture for one minute.
- You will have to breathe normally.
- Take deep breaths.
9. Flower Pose or Balasana
This posture helps in improving the balance of the body and it also helps in building strength. Follow the following steps –
- Sit down on the floor while keeping your back straight.
- Bend the legs in such a way that your knees are pointing in the opposite direction.
- Now you will have to hold your legs using your hands
- Slowly lift the legs up
- You will have to stay in this position for a few seconds
- Slowly lower your legs and get back to the original position
10. Mountain Pose or Tadasana
This posture helps in strengthening the muscles of the legs it helps in improving the body posture. Follow the following steps to do this asana-
- Stand erect, breathe in and keep your back straight
- Lock your knees and see to it that your legs are straight.
- Make sure that your toes are touching each other.
- Keep your hands down
- Breathe in and out deeply and stay in this position for 30 seconds.
11. Facing Downward Dog Pose or Adho Mukha Svanasana
This stretch for kids helps to calm down the mind. It provides energy to the body and helps in stretching the upper body. This pose is known to relieve back pain and headaches. Follow the following steps to do this asana –
- Stand straight and take a deep breath
- Bend the upper body downwards
- Place your palms on the ground. Push your lower body upwards and make sure that your elbows are straight.
- Pull your heels upwards
- Breathe in and out normally and stay in this position for a few seconds.
- Return to the original position as you exhale
- Repeat this again.
12. Star Pose
This posture helps in improving the body’s balance. It also helps in stretching the shoulders and chest. This kid-friendly workout helps in building the body’s strength. Follow the following steps to do this asana –
- Stand straight and take a deep breath.
- Take your legs apart, raise your hands up and make sure that your elbows are straight.
- Your body should be in the shape of a star. Breathe in and out normally.
- You will have to stay in this posture for a few seconds.
- Slowly lower your arms and stand straight.
13. Kite Pose
This pose also helps in strengthening the legs. It helps in stretching the arms and improve the body’s balance. Follow the following steps to do this asana –
- For this pose, you will have to begin with the star pose.
- Then slide your right leg back and raise it from the ground.
- Lean towards your left leg and stay in this position for around 10 seconds.
- Slowly lower the hands and stand upright.
14. Happy Baby Pose Yoga or Ananda Balasana
There are many yoga benefits for kids like this posture helps in keeping the level of stress low. It pacifies the body and the mind and also helps in stretching the backbone. Follow the following steps to do this asana –
- Lay down on the ground and take a deep breath.
- Bend your knees towards your belly and breathe out.
- Hold your feet with your hands.
- Stay in this position for around 7 seconds.
- Lower your legs slowly and come back to the original position.
15. Child’s Pose or Balasana
This pose helps in stretching the hips and legs. It also helps in calming the mind of the individual who practices this asana regularly. Follow the following steps to do this asana –
- Take in a deep breath and sit down by bending your knees backward.
- Breathe normally and lean forward.
- Take your hands back and keep your knuckles on the ground.
- Touch the ground with the forehead by leaning down
- See to it that your body touches your thighs.
- Stay in this posture for a few seconds while you breathe in and out normally.
- Get back to the original position slowly.
Practice these yoga poses on a regular basis with your kids. This way you will be able to spend time with the kids and learn more about them. These postures will help in the development of the kids immensely. Their body and mind will become strong and they will be able to stay calm and composed. Doing these yoga poses with the kids will help them learn to work with teams and they will grow up being self -confident.
There are online channels where you will find free yoga videos for kids. These videos can be used to motivate your children to do these yoga postures. Kids love to learn by seeing others and these videos will do just that. Your kids will learn to do yoga by watching these videos and so will you. So, go ahead; spend some quality time with your kids and learn new things.